Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Way of the Bull

1/31/2009

You asked how things are going. I wish I could say fine, and everything hunky-dory, but it's not. It's tough here. People begin to lose themselves here; lose hope. We all look for, and must fight to understand, how we can maintain our own essence and not lose it to being institutionalized. I answer that by finding structures to put in place, like writing these letters to you.

I also participate in Toastmasters, then turn those speeches into letters to my son. Here is an example:

In 2005, I went to Japan. On one day, I landed at Shodo Island, a small island off the coast of the Inland Sea. On this island there are 100 Shinto shrines, encased in granite the size of a cardboard box. On an island the size of Catalina, it takes some six months to find all 100. Some find it to be like a pilgrimage; a quest. I see it as "The Way of the Bull", a book written by Leo Buscaglia in the 1970s. He talks about how we all have a path, our own way to go through life. He uses the bull as a metaphor for strength and determination.

Some people take their "way" by finding all 100 Shinto shrines. Maybe my being here is my own search for Shinto shrines.

Some give up after only finding 20, but at what point do we give up, saying only 20 is enough? For myself, the minute I do that, I become institutionalized and have lost myself in the milieu of chaos.

This is my challenge; my quest. I'm still searching for my Shinto shrine. Some on Shodo Island are in plain view along the road or the like. Others are tucked away. I managed to find one on top of a small cliff-like island the size of a small studio apartment. The cliff was only accessible during low tide. It seemed uninteresting at first, but at low tide I saw that I could walk over to it. After I managed to climb to the top, I saw it in the corner, out of sight. I imagine the one shrine to be something I discover of myself, here or anywhere along the way.

During our search, our path, we will find our own shrines; some discoveries we see about ourselves are in plain view, others are tucked away, in plain view only at low tide. Some may ask "What is the meaning of life?" I say it is to give it meaning; the meaning I choose to give it is to learn. My way is learning, this is the Way of the Bull.

2/4/2009

Sorry it took so long to finish up. I've been sick, and my head has been all foggy the last few days. I wanted to get this letter out to you tonight.

People must like my speeches as I was voted the new T.I. Toastmaster President last night. I have a 6 month term, and I have lots of great plans in store for the club. The last president didn't do much. I, however, plan to work hard and diligently to restore this club to the good name it used to have.

Thanks for all your support.